What to Pack In Your Hospital Birth Bag: 20 Essential Items for a Smooth Delivery
It's never too early to start planning what to pack in your hospital birth bag before your due date. Getting your birth bag ready in advance can alleviate some of the stress and ensure a smooth delivery.
When should you pack your hospital bag? You should have your hospital bag ready to go between weeks 32 and 35 of your pregnancy.
It may be hard to know where to start with so many items to consider packing for labor and delivery. Don't worry; Lily and Llama has you covered! In this blog post, we list 20 essential items for mom and baby which you'll need for a comfortable and stress-free hospital stay. To make your life super easy, Lily and Llama offers all these items in pre-packed hospital bags so you can just grab and go, and baby!
1) Large tote/diaper bag: You'll need a sturdy and spacious bag to fit all your essential items. We recommend finding a bag such as the Lily and Llama tote, with many compartments and zipper sections, and can be used forever as a weekender tote bag.
2) Shower towel: There is nothing quite like that very first shower after birth... it's heaven. We highly recommend bringing your own shower towel for hygiene reasons, but also so you can really enjoy those few moments for yourself after becoming a mama.
3) 20-piece travel toiletry kit: The 20-piece women's toiletry kit comes with all the essentials you'll need, including items from shampoo/conditioner to a loofah and body cream. Of course, you'll also want to throw in some of your personal items such as your favorite lip balm!
4) Portable white noise machine: The hospital can be noisy and disruptive, and you all will want to get as much rest as possible. A compact noise machine can help you relax and sleep better. We recommend this Lily and Llama portable noise machine which also includes a dim nightlight, making it really helpful to have a bit a of light, without being disruptive. Tip: Throw the portable white noise machine in baby's car seat or stroller when on the go, and use in the nursery for nap times.
5) Organic Washable nursing pads: Leaking is common during the early days of nursing/breastfeeding, and washable nursing pads can help you avoid leaks and keep you dry and comfortable.
6) Velcro baby swaddle: A Velcro swaddle makes it easy to swaddle your baby quickly and securely. A velcro swaddle can also help your baby to sleep more soundly without waking themselves up from reflexes, making it easier for the baby to fall asleep and reduce crying.
7) Llama Sweetie Pal Pacifier by Itzy Ritzy: This cute and functional pacifier comes with a silicone teat to soothe your baby. The plush animal which attaches to the silicone can help to keep the pacifier in the baby's mouth and can prevent it from falling on the floor.
8) 30 Ounce water mug: Let's hear it for hydration! Staying hydrated is essential during labor and delivery, and postpartum. A large water mug such as this one can hold a ton of water and ice, which the nurses will also thank you for, since your saving them those trips to the water cooler. ;)
9) Baby onesie: A simple and comfortable onesie can keep your baby feeling cozy and cute. We love the neutral sage color of the organic Lily and Llama onesie, and the buttons on the bottom make it super easy for quick diaper changes.
10) Non-slip socks: Hospitals can be cold and slick; these non-slip socks can help you safely take that first stroll around the hospital while keeping your feet warm. Pro Tip: Use these socks for those future barre classes as well!
11) Muslin receiving blanket: A soft and breathable muslin receiving blanket can be used as a burp cloth, receiving blanket, or a nursing cover.
12) Hair ties: Trust us, you'll want to keep your hair out of your face during labor and delivery! This one is easy to forget, but make sure you have some on hand.
13) Car seat/nursing cover: A car seat/nursing cover can provide privacy while breastfeeding and also protect your baby from germs. A breathable cover can protect the baby while in their car seat, shielding them from the elements and helping them to stay asleep while on the go.
14) Maxi dress: Before and after birth, you'll want to be comfortable! We recommend wearing a loose maxi dress home from the hospital, so you can be stylish while ensuring there are no disruptions with your healing process (eh hem, adult diapers or c-section incisions!).
15) Bath robe: A cozy bath robe can keep you warm and comfortable during your postpartum stay, and at home. This soft Lily and Llama Bath Robe is highly recommended as it includes three-quarter sleeves which will stay out of your way while you are taking care of your new babe. :)
16) Button-up nightgown: A comfortable button-up nightgown can make breastfeeding easier and more convenient (for you and your nurses!) during your hospital stay. Long sleeves will also keep you nice and warm in the hospital.
17) Nursing bra: A nursing bra can provide support and comfort during breastfeeding and make it easier for you to feed your baby. The Lily and Llama nursing bra is a nude color, making it easy to wear with anything and also supports breastfeeding and pumping.
18) Shower sandals: For hygiene reasons, we definitely recommend packing a pair of easy-to-wear, waterproof sandals for that first hospital shower!
19) Perineal Cold packs: Cold packs can ease swelling and soreness during postpartum recovery. Throw one of these disposable cold packs in your adult diaper during your healing process. Or, if you have C-Section, gently place one over your incision... you'll thank us later. :) (4 of these cold packs are included in a few of the Lily and Llama pre-packed hospital bags!)
20) Adult diapers: Bleeding after a vaginal delivery is normal after a vaginal birth, and it's normal for the body to discharge fluids after all births, including C-Sections. Adult diapers can provide better protection and comfort than traditional pads or the mesh hospital panties. (4 of these adult diapers are included in a few of the Lily and Llama pre-packed hospital bags!)
Packing your hospital birth bag can be overwhelming, but with a little organization and planning beforehand, you can be well-prepared. The Lily and Llama pre-packed hospital birth bags include these 20 essential items for mom and baby, to ensure you have a stress-free delivery! So, get packing and get ready to welcome your little one into the world!